Saturday 11 November 2017

Experimenting With Rust

Tonight I am sharing a project over at the PaperArtsy blog.  The theme for the fortnight is 'rust'.

I chose to use the gorgeous Everything Art stamps and to experiment with rusting powder.

Here is my project....


I wanted to create a rusted image with a stamp, stamping onto cotton - I had not tried stamping with rusting powder before so was quite nervous.  In fact, my first experiment didn't work - but I was delighted with my second attempt.

I used cotton as I thought it might create a soft effect.... and I was right.

I used the main image from Everything Art PaperArtsy stamp set 1.  I stamped using glue, making sure that I washed my stamp immediately after.  I then sprinkled rusting powder over the image.  In my first attempt, I sprinkled water and left the cotton - but it barely created and rust.  In my second attempt I squeezed a small amount of lemon juice over the image.  After a couple of hours (as can be seen in the pic below) I could see that this was more successful.


I then decided to leave the cotton panel overnight - the result was just what I was looking for.....


To finish the panel, I frayed the edges and added ink to 'age' them.

I then started to create a weathered rusty look panel.  For this, I layered lots of Seth Apter Fresco Finish paints until I was happy with the result.


This was then mounted onto a black card mat.

I stamped the word 'art' using Everything Art PaperArtsy stamp set 5 , then cut around them.  


I chose some rusty embellishments from my stash and then put everything together.


I had great fun creating this project, and I hope that you like what I created.

I hope that I have inspired you to join in with the fortnightly challenge and I look forward to seeing what you have created.

Happy Crafting!


4 comments:

  1. Love it Miriam never heard of rusting powder xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out fabulous! Well done, great experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Great technique!

    ReplyDelete